|CHARLES WATERMAN, Oregon; born Oct. 13, 1822, in Orleans Co., Vt., afterward resided in Springfield, Mass. and Windsor Locks, Conn., where he was in business.
Mr. W. came to Oregon in 1849, and in May bought his present farm of 200 acres. The first survey for a village plat was in March, 185-, under his direction and on part of his land; in 1858, he opened, and for two years, kept the Oregon Exchange Hotel; in 1860 and 1861, was in mercantile business, in 1862 and 1863, was a contractor in grading the C. & N. W. R.R., from Oregon to Madison. Began the livery business in June 1874, and continued until Aug. 2, 1880, when he sold to Powers & Fisher.
Mr. W. has improved his farm and built a pleasant home in the village. He married in Munson, Mass. (her native place), Miss Alvina E. Chaffee.
In politics, Mr. Waterman is a Democrat; has been Justice of the Peace, Collector and was six years Deputy Sheriff.
1880 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, p. 1251.