|HENRY S. SMITH II, of Brooklyn, was born at Gorham, Ontario County, N.Y., April 17, 1847. His father, Henry S. Smith, was a native of Vermont, and came west when the country was new; he came across Lake Michigan, landing at Milwaukee, and came on to Dane county in November of 1847.
He had the facility of adapting himself to new conditions which made the Yankees such excellent pioneers, and as the means of transportation were few and the demand considerable, he took up that line of business for a while, carrying goods and passengers between Madison and Milwaukee. He took up land in the town of Oregon, cleared and improved it and made a home for himself and family.
His wife was Miss Phoebe Halford, a native of New York, and they both remained on the homestead–now the property of their son, Harry S., –until their death; his occurred May 4, 1883 and hers June 6, 1885.
The subject of this sketch attended school in the Dwight district in Oregon township, and followed the business of farming succeeding his father, and enlarging his boundaries; he now owns two hundred and thirty-three acres, of which thirty acres are woodland. He is one of a family of seven children, four boys and three girls, of whom only three remain, Henry S., and one brother and one sister.
Mr. Smith is a Republican, and has held the office of justice of the peace for twenty years, he has also served as supervisor for a number of years. He is a member of the United Brethren of Rutland.
He was married March 13, 1870, to Miss Jenette S. Wood, daughter of David and Naomi (Worden) Wood, of Sextonville, Richland county. Their nine children were all born in the town of Oregon, and educated there and in the high school of Oregon village. They are Lulu M., (Mrs. George Sholts), of Rutland; Ruby (Mrs. Glidden), of Oregon; Glenn W. of Oklahoma; Nina P., at home; Floyd W. of Rockford, Ill.; Ethel V. of Oregon; H. Burns, Dean F. and Dale, at home.
1906 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, p. 821-822