|HENRY DRURY HANSON, Jr., the editor of the Oregon Observer, was born April 18, 1862, in Dunkirk, Dane County. His father, Henry D. Hanson, Sr., was born in Lincolnshire, England, and came to the United States in 1851, when twenty-one years old. His mother Sarah (Fillingham) Hanson, was also English by birth, and came to this country a year later.
Mr. Hanson stayed for a few months in the vicinity of Buffalo, N.Y. and then came on to Rock County, Wis., where he became acquainted with his wife; they settled in Dunkirk, and bought sixty acres of land there, which he still owns and has increased to one hundred acres.
Mrs. Hanson died July 20, 1904, after the family had moved to Stoughton, where Mr. Hanson still resides. Henry D. Hanson, Jr., is one of a family of eight, three sons and five daughters, all of whom are living except one daughter. He was educated in Hanerville School, and later attended Milton College.
He was only sixteen when he started out for himself, and worked by the month for two years, and then attended Milton College for three; in March, 1884, he bought out a one-half interest in the Oregon Observer, and six months later his partner sold to E. B. Owen, and the firm was Hanson & Owen until July, 1885, when Mr. Hanson purchased the entire interest.
The Observer is Republican in politics, and during his management of it, Mr. Hanson has built up the circulation from three hundred to one thousand subscribers, besides increasing the size of the paper.
Mr. Hanson is a member of the Presbyterian Church; he was married June 16, 1897, to Miss Mabel Johnson, daughter of C. D. and Lucy Johnson, of Oregon village. Mrs. Hanson was born in Dunn Township, and was a teacher in the Oregon schools before her marriage; she has since served three years on the board of education.
Mr. Hanson has served on the village board and as village treasurer several times. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and belongs to the I. O. O. F., the Modern Woodmen and the Eastern Star. Mrs. Hanson also belongs to the Eastern Star and is serving the second year as matron.1906 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, p. 375-376