|J.B. MUNGER, proprietor of the Oregon brick-yard, was born Dec. 13, 1817, in Fenner, Madison Co., N.Y.; was a farmer in the East; came West in 1855, and located on a farm in Rutland Township, where he now owns 148 acres in one farm and 22 in another; in 1831, he bought four acres on the southwest quarter of Sec. 12, Oregon, less than a mile from the village, and has since continued the manufacture of brick, averaging from 500,000 to 6000,000 per annum; employs eight hands, and sells in Chicago and other points in Illinois; his brick closely resembles the famous brick of the Cream City, and were used in building the State Insane Asylum and in the business blocks of Madison; he also has a large trade with the adjacent country.He married Julia A. Jackson, Oneida Co., N.Y.; they have two children-Frankie (Mrs. C. E. Powers born in Cazenovia, N.Y.) and Nora, born in Rutland, Dane Co., Wis. Mr. Munger is full of business in the brick-making season; is a Republican and was one of the Town Board six or eight years.
Ref. 1880 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, p. 1245.