M.J. Fisher

M.J. FISHER, of Powers & Fisher, Oregon; born in Cooksville, Rock Co., Wis. Oct. 1, 1849; his parents, J.W. and P.S. Fisher, settled in Rock Co. in 1845; they were New York State people, and settled on a new farm in Oregon in 1847; the neighborhood is known as Fisher’s Valley, and here J.W. Fisher ended his life-work, dying Oct. 19, 1877, leaving six children-Marshall J., Frances M., Edwin, Charles, Henry, and Maude.  M.J. attended the common and select schools of Oregon, also the Evansville Seminary; he taught seven winters, first in 1871; was hotel clerk in Leroy, Minn., and at Beloit, Wis.; was in the mercantile business form 1876 until August 1880, when, with C.E. Powers, he bought the livery and sale stable of C. Waterman; it is the only one in the village, and business opens up well for the firm, who have ten horses and are prepared to furnish good rigs at fair rates.  Mr. Powers has been in the mercantile business here for several years past, and the firm still maintains a stock of groceries, jewelry, watches, notions, etc.  Both are Republicans, Mr. F. also belonging to the Orders of A., F. & A.M. and the A.O.U.W.  He married Anna Story, of Oregon, and has two children, Max and Clyde.  Mrs. Powers was Frances Munger, a native of Madison Co., N.Y.

line
footer