Oregon’s First Village Library

FIRST VILLAGE LIBRARY (1910)

Library display at the OAHS Museum

The first library was established in Oregon in 1908 when Mrs. William Bennett started a lending library in a room above the Criddle Drug Store (now Señor Peppers). In 1914, the library moved to the second story of the McDermott building above where the Chocolate Caper is located today.

The first official village library was established in 1910—in 2010 the library had a big 100th birthday party.

line
footer