WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL
Madison, Wisconsin, November 18, 1898
Volume 59, No. 15
A Village Of 700 People, Whose Homes And
Life Suggest New England
It’s Citizens will vote on November 22
A $6,000 Waterworks Proposition to Stop Costly Conflagrations
1,000 “BADGER” CYCLES ARE MADE YEARLY
A Historic community—The “Old Doctor” and Others of the Famous Fox Lineage –A Storm-Center of Lodge-Life; Even the Babies Go—Oregon’s $14,000 School Building.
Business Men and Others.
IS THE LODGE TOO PREVALENT?
OREGON’S FAMOUS SCHOOL BUILDING
OREGON’S PLAN OF WATER WORKS
SOME CITIZENS OF OREGON – Activities of a Live Village-Business Mean and Other Interests of the Town
A book could be written about the village and town of Oregon and should be. The name is worthy a chapter. The name was originally “Rome Corners” and the precinct took in four townships. C. W. Netherwood’s father used to relate that when he first entered the country in the early fifties, he lost his way in the dark and going to the log cabin he rapped at the door and asked, “Is this Oregon?” using the newly promulgated official name. “No, stranger,” was the reply of the puzzled native, “this ain’t Oregon, this is Wisconsin.”
The first settler in the town of Oregon was Bartlett Runey, locating in 1841, and bringing his family from Janesville the following spring. The Ames’ settled in the spring of 1845. Nathaniel Ames was in the Revolutionary War, and saw Washington at Morristown, N.J.; in fact the father of his country looked in Ames’ tent and said (as Ames used to repeat it), “Howdy”. Mr. Ames died in Oregon August 27, 1863, being 102 years and 4 months old.
In the village the first house was built by C. P. Mosely in 1843 as a tavern. Mr. Prentice in the winter of 1845-6 sold the first goods there, followed by T. M. Bennett, later Bennett, Winston & Co. The post office dates from 1848.
When Enos Hayes came to Oregon – that was in 1845 – there was not much there but a tavern and a few log cabins. The family purchased land 3.5 miles away, and Enos Hayes was there until 1861. Then he moved to the village, although since then he has been more or less away. Sylvester Pratt, who lives on the main street, came in 1844 and is accorded honor as the earliest living pioneer. He took up government land whereas the other surviving pioneers purchased of private owners. Among other early comers is Mrs. R.P. Main, now over 80 years of age.
The death of C.H. Cronk, the veteran agent of the Northwestern railroad, was an event that attracted much attention, owing to his long service, dating back to the first coming of the railroad to the town in 1863. C. R. Fisher, formerly of Spring Green, is now the agent; H.W. Clapp, an Oregon boy, being night agent.
SOMETHING OF OREGON OF TODAY
The population of Oregon is of native stock, Irish and Danish chiefly, the pioneers from Denmark coming to the country early and taking representative places in business and social interests.
Oregon’s population is fairly 700; and it is 10-1/3 miles from Madison by rail and 12 miles by the turnpike. The village casts about 211 votes, and was incorporated about 1883. C. W. Netherwood has a record as a local executive that indicates his loyalty to Oregon is appreciated as well as his industry and merit; for he has been president of the village ever since it was incorporated, with the exception of the first year, Manuel Wolfe enjoying the initial honor; and Attorney H.M. Haskell filling the position last year. Mr. Netherwood is even better known as member of the county board for fifteen years and as postmaster for over twenty-four years. In view of the fact that he was three times wounded in the great rebellion, one shot carrying away one side of his face and he scarcely ever, in over 30 years enjoyed an hour free from pain – his story may be said to be an interesting one.
Mr. Netherwood was born in 1843, the same year and month that his life long friend, John C. Spooner, first saw the light. The former event occurred in Watervliet, north of Albany, where Uncle Sam makes cannon to smith the pride of his enemies; and in 1856 the family took “C.W.” to Oregon. He enlisted in 1862 and put in an eventful 18 months in Co. E, Wisconsin 23rd, under Guppy with W.F. Vilas as lieut-col. Mr. Netherwood says, what other comrades in arms report of the statesman, that Col. Vilas was a brave man under arms – in fact, there is a saying that W.F. Vilas was the second bravest man in the ranks, the first being a man now expounding truth from a Methodist pulpit out west.
Mr. Netherwood tried life in the south for one year, and lived in Edgerton for a year. Oregon has with these exceptions monopolized his endeavors. He had a good schooling, part of the time in Madison; and went into the post office as a clerk under John D. Tipple. Mr. Netherwood was postmaster from 1869 to 1889, when Don Dickenson threw him out; whereupon R. M. LaFollette put him back as soon as possible. Joseph Fox and A. R. Loveland are also in Oregon’s brief list of postmasters.
Among the leading republicans are C. W. Netherwood, M. W. Terwilliger, Carl C. Pease and Robert McGill. Among the democrats the slogan is lifted by B. McDermott, Barney Connors, Thomas Walsh, Warren Chandler and others.
The normal republican majority is about 30. In the last election Oregon had four candidates whom it could properly call its own – M. W. Terwilliger and Homer A. Stone on the republican ticket, for clerk of court and assemblyman respectively; B. F. Connors, democrat, for county clerk; and A. B. Marvin, prohibitionist, for coroner.
IS THE LODGE TOO PREVALENT?
Oregon is pre-eminently a community given over to fraternities. It might have been in Oregon that the story originated of the widow’s reply to a condoling friend:
“Your husband was a good, true man and friend,” said the visitor. “So everybody tells me.” Replied the widow. “I didn’t know him very well myself. He belonged to nine lodges.”
Without here unloading the writer’s conviction that the fraternal spirit, finding expression in multiplied organizations, each taxing the time and interest of the members, and crowding out the demands of the church, the community, and most of all the home—without even here noting that it is possible to have even too much of a good thing—it is recorded that Oregon is well equipped with opportunities for the brotherhood idea, social intimacy and converse; and popular insurance. The Masons and Woodmen have their own buildings, artistic and complete. The Masons, dating from 1865, are especially strong and influential with from 90 to 100 members, William Allison being the present master. The K. of P. is represented. The Odd Fellows flourished from 1856 to 1873, and there are 15 or 20 members still. The Woodmen are headed by J. O’Neil, with 125 members.
The “United Workmen” are organized but quiescent. The G.A.R have about 18 members. Then, too, the women, determined not to be left alone at home, are following their husbands and brothers to the club room. Not only is there a Shakespeare club, and the well known Woman’s Relief corps, of which Mrs. Stella Graves is chief officer; and a notable efficient corps it is—but the “Eastern Star” (Masonic) is largely for the gentler sex. Mrs. Jeanette Haskell being matron; and now the Woodmen have an annex—“Royal Neighbors,” who are none other than those best of neighbors, the women who make our homes. Far-sighted thinkers have long dreaded the dominion of lodges in American life, for the universal withdrawal of men from the home and the segregation of the sexes can never be beneficial, however lofty the aims and kindly the spirit that animates the gatherings; but the solution and hope have come in this characteristic programme of our women—to follow up the absent ones and enjoy the good times with them. In Oregon the ladies even take their babies to lodge.
Oregon has a brass band of some 14 pieces, with Arthur Anderson as leader. It is made up of the young men of the village, and the harmonies serve to enliven many a public occasion.
The roll of the notable people who date from Oregon is a long one. It could not be otherwise from such substantial home life. Dr. Phil Fox belongs to the line, a descendent of one of the five sturdy brothers who, with their father, rejoiced that they sprung from the O’Neils. One of these brothers was “the old doctor,” William H. Fox, whose home was three miles away. Rev. Matthew, the dominie, was equally well known and their lives intertwined with the story of Oregon. Impulsive, kindly, blunt, of strong convictions, the country abounds with traditions of the Fox brothers. They had their ideas about the war, and a party once went forth to lynch the doctor. The doctor was of the “old school” and understood human nature and in his practice was mingled a great deal of rough, good sense. Arthur O. Fox and Mrs. W. F. Vilas are his children. Rev. Matthew Fox was no less a conservative. And when finally one of his parish mustered courage to ask the old man to read a notice announcing a female temperance lecturer, the messenger drew down an avalanche of denunciation and indignation, the only echo of which he caught being to the effect that the pastor was eternally opposed to “crowing hens.”
But there was tenderness and sterling integrity underneath all this severity. The “old doctor” had twitched one tooth from a boy whom he put on the floor and braced against his knee. Then he calmly turned the victim’s face and dragged one from the other side, but not before “the old doctor” had said encouragingly, “You were born to be a soldier, I see, my boy.”
That boy is now himself aging, but the sympathetic tones in a rough environment of a Dr. McClure near home still linger
Gilbert E. Roe is a distinguished son of Oregon, his people living there: and when he occasionally delivers political addresses, as recently, there is always a large audience of the friends of his youth by whom he is justly held in esteem.
Ex-sheriff Phineas Baldwin, now living in Madison, and once a member of the legislature and for years on the county board, was an Oregon man. So too was the late John S. Frary, an assemblyman, and his son Dr. Louis Frary, now in California. Dr. Willie Bennett, of the health department, and well up in the front rank of physicians of Milwaukee, often comes to see his widowed mother in Oregon, where he was raised. L. M. Fay, whose business ability is demonstrated in his connection with the Madison Democrat Co., and private enterprises, was raised on a farm near by.
OREGON’S FAMOUS SCHOOL BUILDING
The supreme expression of Oregon is the school, a great $14,000 building put up three years ago (the old one is used for a village hall), standing by itself—conspicuous, substantial, metropolitan. It is easily the finest thing of its kind remembering the limited population behind it, in the county, perhaps in the state. It should be added that the district is larger than the village. But as a cathedral with no spiritual life in it is doubly empty, so a school building, however fine, is a vain boast unless presided over by teachers of merit. Of Franklin Gould, the high school principal, the Madison university authorities may speak—an exemplary young man of ability, character and enthusiasm. He is a Whitewater normal product; taught five years in Cambridge, (his wife being a daughter of Hon. Stephen Butler of that place); and he is now on his third year in Oregon. Miss Lydia Minch, a Madison high school graduate and former university girl, is his assistant, on her third year. The grammar department is under Miss Belle Tirrell, a Whitewater normalite; Miss Kate Noyes teaches the intermediate pupils; andMrs. H. D. Hanson, wife of the editor, the primary pupils. There are about 190 boys and girls in the building, 60 of them in the high school department, which is accredited to the university, and continually sending well trained pupils to Madison. Among them at present are Miss Lizzie Condon, sister of the popular priest of St. Mary’s; Winnifred Salisbury, Zack Chandler, Harry Keenan.
The school board is composed of M. W. Terwilliger, president; H. M. Haskell, clerk; and J. J. Lindsay, treasurer. The library contains 500 volumes.
But there is another library in Oregon which calls for mention. It is what is known as “Parmalee’s,” one of a system. About 35 families pay $3 for a term of five years. The Oregon library was installed within a year and is located in C. C. Pease’s drug store. Every three months a box of 50 books is sent—200 a year, 1,000 books in five years. A similar library is in Lodiand other places. The books are well bound and the plan gives much satisfaction. If there is any criticism it is that people crave pretty light reading, even novels that keep them awake o’nights; whereas the library is strong in more substantial reading, even the life of the Great Nazarene and “Geology Made Easy.” No doubt the Parmalee man reasons as Edwin Booth used to do, that it is his duty to give the people not what they want; but what they ought to have.
OREGON’S PLAN OF WATERWORKS
The main theme of conversation in Oregon is the likelihood of water service and fire protection. The proposition is to be voted on Nov. 22, whether the village shall bond itself for $6,000 to meet the expense. The payment will be gradual, one-twentieth each year for twenty years, 5 per cent bonds.
Oregon has been hard hit by fire all the way along. The first fire of any size was in the fall of 1864—the business house of Gilbert Johnson. In the spring of 1870, two two-story buildings were destroyed, owned by the Tipples, one occupied by John B. Tipple and C. W. Netherwood, and including the postoffice; the other by B.W. Beebe. The total loss was $8,500. On the evening of July 4, 1873, three one-story buildings and two two-story buildings with considerable stocks were burned. The buildings were owned by Frank Wott, Patrick Nangle and C. W. Netherwood. Total loss was $9,800. In September, 1873, R. P. Main’s dwelling house went—$1,300. Next year Thomas Zook—$1,600. On May 29, 1880, Main street was again invaded—three buildings owned by Isaac Howe, Charles Howe and H. J. Smith; total loss $6,500. Then the old hotel burned a few years later; the old Odd Fellows’ is another memory in ashes; the hotel stables another; and in the past summer there were two big fires—one, the Netherwood block, with a total loss of over $30,000; and the elevator blaze. An incident of the elevator fire was a series of “snap-shot” views which proved what a locomotive’s spark did and aided in adjusting the insurance.
The result of the repeated conflagrations is that property owners are getting shy and insurance companies cautious. Investors and manufacturing projectors have Oregon on the black list. Sentiment looking not only to adequate fire protection but to water delivered to stores and residences is crystallized into the proposition for the village to take the necessary financial steps. It is argued that the village still owes $8,000 on the school building; but it is a common-place that a wisely invested municipal indebtedness is a sign of progress and a diligent watchfulness of citizen safety and comfort. Among the advocates of the forward step are Messrs. McDermott, the Algards, C. C. Pease, S. G. Shampnor, Lathrop, Netherwood and others.
Oregon has already sampled the advantages of available water. The bicycle concern hit upon a well on its grounds which Col. Nader and other experts say is remarkable. The concern also has a pump and in a limited way began in 1897 to furnish water to a few business houses at hand. There is a half mile of pipe laid. In last summer’s fire water was drawn from this six-inch driven well for five hours without apparently lowering it; and under test 200 barrels have been pumped from it with the same lack of consequences. The effect of this service has been to educate the people to the great convenience. The village has already wisely purchased this water supply; and the plan is, if citizens endorse the outlay, to establish engine, pump and stand-pipe, and supply Oregon with water for private and public uses. The limited service the cycle company’s plant furnished in the late big fire undoubtedly prevented a more extensive conflagration. Ed. Booth is chief of the fire department which does splendid work within it power. When one reflects in how brief a space of time $5,000 or $20,000 worth of property may go up in smoke, the value of prevention should require no argument.
There are many beautiful homes in Oregon; in fact the homes are one of the chief charms of this comfortable village. Each one has ample ground about it. The citizen may keep his horse, his cows, chickens even, without annoyance to others. As one strolls down the broad main street, he might well imagine himself in a Massachusetts town; and the open square and the park areas, which the village fathers have wisely reserved, deepen this impression. Among the handsome home are those of C.A. Lathrop, Louis Marvin, Henry N. Algard, C.W. Netherwood, and others.
There is considerable building going on in Oregon. C.W. Netherwood is completing a block on the square; the elevator and kindred buildings are going up at the station; homes are being built by John Connors, Mrs. Mary Kierstead, Nathan York, Chas Poole, and others. The assessed valuation of the village is about $254,000. There are two saloons in Oregon, paying each $200 license fee. A few years ago the town was no-license; and the saloon encroachment carried by only 2 majority.
Three of the four churches are on the main street—Catholic, Methodist, and Presbyterian; while the Danish church, one of the Lutheran denominations, is near at hand. The Presbyterian Church suggests much history, beginning with the beautiful memorial window, the gift of McMahon Fox in October, 18xx, to his father, “Matthew Anthony Fox, pastor. 1845-1881.” The organization dates from 1845, the first year being under Congregational discipline; and the building, first erected in 1856, was practically made new in 1895. The present pastor, Rev. R. Pughe, has been with his people for two years, coming from Brodhead and a graduate of McCormick theological seminary. He was born and raised in Wales, and has the upright, substantial marks of that country, which had given the Presbyterian church so many sterling men of God. The church has from 70 to 80 members. The head of the Sunday school is Philip Anderson; Miss Grace Salisbury leads the “endeavor;” and Mrs. M.W. Terwilliger the Ladies’ Aid society, which took an active part in raising $4,000 for the new church and $2,000 for the beautiful parsonage.
The leading church in point of members is St. Mary’s, Father M.A. Condon being the pastor for ten years (next July). He was born in Dodge County; and educated at Watertown andMilwaukee, in the “Sacred Heart” and “St. Francis,” respectively. His first pastorate was at Mapleton, Waukesha County, for eight years. Rev. James A. Condon, a brother, had held three pastorates, in Janesville and elsewhere, and has lately been filling the Oregon priest’s place during the latter’s absence on a vacation in the west. The brothers belong to a family of ten children, one sister living in the parsonage and another being at the state university. The church is a fine large building.
The Methodist church was built in 1860 and the present one about six years ago. It has been with a pastor since conference; but Rev. W.G. Jones, who also has a parish at Syene, is to take the Oregon church and move to the village. Among those active in Methodism are William Soden, Demier Miller, Peter Taylor and W.F. Ames. The late Rev. Richard Dudgeon was pastor in 1860-61; and again in 1868-9. The Baptists and other denominations have in the past had organization in Oregon.
Oregon is the most considerable shipping point for hogs, cattle and sheep between St. Paul and Chicago, if the local authorities are well informed. From Oregon alone last year 250 cars of stock were shipped. Oregon thus drawing on a radius of country for at least eight miles, and proving a chief source of revenue to the farmers. In one night ten cars of stock were sent out. The hogs go principally to Cudahy, Milwaukee, the cattle and sheep to Chicago. About 50 cars of grain were shipped last year, mainly oats. Most of this goes to Milwaukee andChicago; but Marinette secured ten or fifteen cars of it. This business is in the hands of Richards, Graves & Robertson, who also operate from Syene and Brooklyn, the partners living at Brooklyn. R. Richards, Sr. is a brother-in-law of C.W. Netherwood. The Oregon manager is R.C. Richards, a son of one of the partners and he is attaining a reputation as an energetic stock buyer. The stock is bought outright, (not a common business); and the spectacle of great droves of stock filling the country roads on the way to the shipping pens is a frequent one.
The fire of Oct. 8 opened the way for Richards, Graves & Robertson to construct warehouses and shipping stations to enable them to do a very large business. There will be four buildings, with a track frontage of 196 feet; in addition to E.D. Hartwell’s 50-foot feed mill. Richards, Graves & Roberston will have a farm machinery warehouse; an elevator with a capacity for 18,000 bushels for the storage of oats, rye and corn; a building for seeds and feed; and a 64-foot building for coal, salt and brick.
Oregon is in pre-eminently a dairy and stock country. The farmers have so completely given their energies to that, that the raising of tobacco, which has excited farmers elsewhere, has only been engaged into a limited extent. The farmers are prosperous as a rule. The tobacco warehouse that stands along the tracks is operated by John Brand & Co. of New York, O. C. Colney, of Evansville, being the local manager.
E.W. Comstock is the proprietor of the large lumber yard at the railway station and lives in the handsome home near at hand. He came from Belleville, where he lived for 17 years; but was born and raised within 1-1/2 miles of Oregon. Four years ago he succeeded A.B. Kingsley, who had been in business for seven years, he in turn following Lovejoy & Richards. The business stand is an old one and Mr. Comstock, by fair dealing and the possessions of a large stock, had continued an extensive patronage. His family consists of a wife and five children.
The biggest thing Oregon has in an industrial way is the Badger Cycle Co., organized in ’91. From small beginnings in a room 12 feet square it has now developed an extensive plant and stock company, J.C.B. Lathrop of Chicago being president; his brother C.A. Lathrop, manager and vice president. Its building is 40 x77 feet, with two floors; and it puts out 1,000 wheels a year, employing 30 to 40 hands in the busy season. Two grades of wheels are made, $50 and $35; and shipments are made to Europe, Australia and every part of this country. Madison has a branch office; and Chicago at 23 Lake Street.
C.A. Lathrop, or “Del,” was born in Vermont, coming west when a lad of 4 or 5, his people settling a few miles from the village of Oregon. For a dozen years he lived in northernWisconsin. Both the brothers were educated at the university in Champaign, Ill., and J.C.B. Lathrop has been with the St. Nicholas Manufacturing Co., in Chicago, for a score of years. C. A. Lathrop was in the hardware business for seven years before taking up bicycles. A.U. Marvin is the secretary of the company. Under the watchful care of Manager Lathrop and his associates the “Badger” has attained note as an honestly made and easily running machine. Mr. C.A. Lathrop is one of the most enterprising citizens of the village and active in all that makes for its advancement.
Among other industries are Cramer & Co., grist mill, etc. Montgomery & Martin, cigar manufacturer; Lamont & Sons, the carpenters, deserve mention for the skilful work done on the school building, the Netherwood block, the C.A. Lathrop residence and other buildings.
SOME CITIZENS OF OREGON
Activities of a Live Village Business Mean and Other Interests of the Town
The Oregon post office is fourth-class (which means the compensation of the postmaster is on commission), but it is well known to be high on the list, and one of the very best of that class; and worthy to be moved up to third class, where people enjoy salaries and can hang up a commission on the wall with the president’s signature. Such is the felicity of third, second or first class postmaster. The Oregon office is in the new building and convenient and neat. A.J. Loveland, who took charge in 1897, is the present postmaster. He was born four miles away and has lived in the town 15 years. He had four years’ experience under Joseph Fox, Jr., and is an obliging and competent gentleman.
Traveling men are agreed that the best three hotels in Dane county (excepting the big affairs in Madison) are the Mazomanie hostelry, the Hotel Lindsay at Marshall and the “Grand Central” conducted at Oregon by Mr. and Mr. John Walters. The latter is a comfortable, big house on the New England order; and the beds are the soft, sleepy kind that cause one to dream of mother and of apples dropping in the orchard while the night wind shakes the rafters. The Walters ran the Hutson house in Stoughton for eight years; and four years ago in August bought the Oregon property. Former landlords could not seem to make it pay, but Mr. Walters is doing a handsome business. The Walters were born in England, coming over in 1871. The wife gives sharp attention to every detail, the table being noteworthy. There are three children, one daughter being at home. Mr. Walters is a Mason and K. of P., and contributes not a little to the success of Oregon by the creditable way in which he makes visitors comfortable.
Beyond serving as trustee of the village and remembering Grover Cleveland at family prayers, Mr. McDermott has thus far resisted the call to statesmanship though he is active in party work. He is a big fellow and lives in a handsome home with his family, the oldest boy of 22 being in the store. There are two other children. Mr. McDermott favors the water proposition and is very influential with a large following of friends.
H.H. Marvin has been about 40 years in Oregon and the hardware store he established 25 years ago now occupies the street floor of Masonic hall; a building finished two months ago at a cost of $5,000; and it is a beauty. It is a large stock of goods stoves being in abundance and variety at this season; and an air of business and neatness characterizes the entire plant. L.B. Marvin, a son, has been in the store for ten years; and another son, A.B., Jr. is at the state university. The father was born in Ohio. He has been trustee of Oregon, town treasurer and held other positions and is prominent in the Masons, K. of P., and other orders. Mr. Marvin is one of the most substantial citizens of the village.
Marvin is an honored name in Oregon. A.B. Marvin, who settled in 1856, was engaged in shipping grain and stock until 1892; he has held positions in the town and long been justice of the peace. He is active in the councils of the prohibition party, and is identified with the conservative contingent.
Old Dr. Isaac Howe, (whose name was a household word, and who went to the Dakotas where he was elected a judge) some thirty years ago established the drug store, where C.C. Pease now presides; and this store is a rendezvous for Oregon citizens. He succeeded Salisbury & Stanley in 1895. Mr. Pease was born in McKinley’s state; and came west a lad of 6; his parents settling in Montrose, the mother still living. Mr. Pease is a thoughtful and forceful gentleman, who does his own thinking and stands for the best things. One of his four children is a well known university boy, soon to graduate, who has distinguished himself in debates.
The Oregon Observer is one of the few local papers that gives its readers original set matter in preference to the “patent insides.” It prints 1,000 papers weekly, which takes it to all the homes in the section and the generous advertising accorded it is a subject of remark among newspapermen. Editor Hanson, was born in Dunkirk in 1862, educated at Milton college and came to Oregon in March 1884. One of his partners was C.J. Rollis, of Stoughton, now a captain of volunteers; but since 1885 Mr. Hanson has been alone. He is married and clerk of the Woodmen. His paper is free from malice and he succeeds in doing justice to all contingents of the village.
Dr. J. M. O’Brien is one of the institutions of Oregon, a genial skillful physician and a man every inch of him. He belongs to the State and Central Medical associations. On the walls of his office is the famous World’s Fair picture, “The Family Physician,” and if the doctor wore a full beard and had a wife and a lot of babies of his own at home, he would fill the bill not badly. He was born in Ironton, Sauk county, and raised there and has enjoyed a fine education, being a Whitewater normal graduate (’86); coming out of “Rush Medical” in 1890 with promising honors; and enjoying an apprenticeship at the famous Cook Co. hospital. He practiced for a while in Ironton, but for four years has been in Oregon and is known and respected by every man, woman and child.
Shampnor is an esteemed name in Oregon, the son, S.G. Shampnor conducting a general merchandise store. He father. T.S. Shampnor, settled in 1848, coming from New Jersey. He farmed it in Dane county for many years. S.G. Shampnor was born in Rutland and came to Oregon fifteen years ago. He acquired experience clerking for others and has been ten years in business for himself. He is one of the present trustees of the village. Mr. Shampnor has two children. He bought his present business five years ago, the stand being an old one.
Traveling men say that J.J. Lindsay has the best furniture stock outside of Madison in the county, and his fellow townsmen pronounce him an exact and model businessman. He was born in Pennsylvania; came west when 21 years old and settled on Syene Prairie. Here he worked with ex-sheriff Keyser and farmed it for himself; and about 1871 he came to Oregon. He was a partner of M.W. Terwilliger, his brother-in-law, in general merchandise for about ten years. These two with H.H. Marvin are perhaps the only ones still in business of that early date. Mr. Lindsay’s stock fills two floors; and all the undertaking of the village comes his way. He has dealt largely in livestock and grain. His position as a citizen is shown by the fact that he has served for fifteen years as treasurer of the school board, and as trustee. He belongs to the Masons, K. of P., and other orders. He has a wife and two children.
No doubt many a young lawyer who has rushed off to lose himself in the waste basket of forgetfulness (as Malachy Kelley would put it), envies Herbert M. Haskell, the busy attorney ofOregon. The young man is a member of Haskell & Getts. He graduated from the state university in1893, having been a prize debater; finished the law course in 1896, having served as principal of the Oregon high school for years; and last year he was honored by being chosen president of the village. He is on the school board (clerk); does an insurance, real estate and loan business; and is respected and consulted on all sides.
Oregon has still another lawyer, H.B. Chappell, a graduate of ’90, who Judge Carpenter is on record as saying, was the most brilliant man of his class.
Dr. J.W. Emmons came to Oregon May 1 with a fine professional reputation in Sparta, where residents say he was among the leaders of a craft of seven or eight physicians. He exchanged practice and properties with Dr. Salisbury and promptly took the place to which his abilities entitled him. He is 53 years old, raised in the Pine Tree state and settling with his parents in Center, Rock County, in 1853. He graduated at Rush Medical College in 1883 and practiced for 7 1/2 years in Foreston, Ill., and 8 l/2 years in Sparta. Dr. Emmons has a suite of offices in the finest block in town (Netherwood’s); and he is fond of comfortable and convenient accessories of life, as shown by a stable, of four standard bred horses and a beautiful home which he has equipped with furnace heat, hot water arrangements and the devices that many families outside of cities think are denied them. Dr. Emmons was hard hit by fire shortly after he came to Oregon; but has courageously replaced his library and scientific outfit and has at once entered upon a busy practice.
Active in the Methodist church in G.A.R. circles in Masonry (which he joined in ’60) and all that concerns Oregon is William Soden, who is just now making over his home opposite the Catholic church. It was a New York state family, settling in Fulton, Rock County, in 1845, and reaching Oregon in 1858. Mr. Soden is engaged in carriage building, repairing, woodwork, etc. He was one of the first to enlist and in Co. K, First Wisconsin, was with the Badgers who fired the first shot at Falling Waters, Va. July 2, 1861.
The success of Dr. H.E. Hanan shows what patient, painstaking work will do. After three years’ preparatory study the doctor began the practice of dentistry seventeen years ago inOregon and now he has a large practice, his patients coming from far and near. Each Tuesday for the whole period of his practice he has gone to Belleville, operating in the office of Dr. Wheelwright. Dr. Hanan was born in Rutland. He is a Mason, and chancellor commander of the K. of P., and belongs to other organizations. With his wife and four little girls, the oldest 8 years, he enjoys life in a beautiful home. His office is in the Netherwood block and its modern equipment indicates that he is up to date; and his friendships are as wide as his acquaintance.
Everybody knows Robert McGill, the blacksmith—born in Canada and a resident of Oregon since 1885—a good workman, a hot republican, and an American all the time, be his country right or wrong. He went to Belleville in 1864; to Whitewater in 1869. He started his business, and has a convenient shop and has intelligence and originality enough to run the commonwealth. He has been deputy sheriff under Vernon Mickelson and Moulton. He is Marshal of the village. He goes to republican conventions and can make a speech to wake the echoes. “Bob” has a wife and three children, the oldest a boy of 10; and when his little girl comes round to the forge after school is over to watch her papa pound the anvil, it is a picture worthy to be framed. Bob’s heart is as big as the Plankinton hotel and the latch spring is always out.
The Oregon creamery is operated by P. I. Pasley for J.R. Ellis & Sons; of Boston, Mass., who also own plants in Syene and Brooklyn. The Oregon creamery is about eight years old and averages 200 pounds of butter a day all the year round, a large part of which is absorbed by home consumers at 22 cents. R. Pasley was raised in DeKalb County, Illinois and has been seven years with this company. He belongs to the Masons and Woodman. He is a neat and careful butter-maker and has a host of friends, not only the 50 farmers on his list of those contributing milk, but among the citizens of the village.
A parlor could not be nearter than the meat market of Fritz & Gefke in the Netherwood block. In the rear is a refrigerator room, which calls for six tons of ice,and a neat office. Fresh and cured meats, oysters and fish are the stock, of which an abundance is in sight. Mr. Fritz was born and raised in the town of Montrose, and is a practical farmer and stock grower, for he operated one of the best farms in Montrose. Mr. Gefke is an Oregon boy. He was for five years in Madison, two of them with H.F. Tiederman and three in the firm of Brinkhoff & Gefke. The Oregon firm has a slaughter house and makes its own sausage.
J.A. Leonard keeps the livery stable at Oregon—an outfit of ten horses with single and double rigs, buggies and surreys, and cutters for a winter’s sleigh ride. Traveling man and the local trade all know the stand, which is an old one. Mr. Leonard started in the business three years ago. He was raised near Niagara Falls and came west 28 years ago, settling inBrooklyn, where he conducted a blacksmithing and wagon business, and later engaged in the livery business, with which he is perfectly familiar.