J.L. Jackson

J.L. JACKSON, farmer, Sec. 11; P.O. Oregon; born in Richfield, Otsego Co., N.Y., Feb 23, 1817; his parents previously and subsequently living in Wyoming Co., N.Y. where he grew to man’s estate.  Married May 13, 1840, in Aurora, Erie Co., N.Y., Miss Phebe E. Turner, who was born Jan. 16, 1816, in Naples, Ontario Co., N.Y.; they came West in 1854, and located in the wilderness of Richland Co., Wis., cutting their road and not seeing a house during the last twenty miles of the journey; accompanied by four other families, they built a mill, store, church and schoolhouse, founding the village of Viola.  In 1860, Mr. Jackson was a member of the Wisconsin Legislature; in 1861, he went to California; was two years in business in El Dorado Cal.; returned in the spring of 1863, settled on a farm in Sun Prairie in 1864, and three years later located on the present farm of 120 acres, the old C.P. Mosely farm and one of the first settled in Oregon.  Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have two children– Helen S. (Mrs. Dr. C.N. Dunn) and Edson B., both born in Sheldon, Wyoming Co., N.Y. Father and son are Democrats the father was elected Chairman of Oregon in 1871.  Mrs. Jackson is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Oregon.  The daughter is a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, and is practicing with her husband in Centralia, Ill.  Her former husband, Roscoe Harris, died in December, 1876.  The foster daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, Kathleen Church, married B.S. Snyder; both are practicing physicians of Victor, Iowa.Ref. 1880 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, page 1242-43.

line
footer