W.D. Bird

W.D. BIRD, Sec. 2; P.O., Madison; born Feb. 2, 1821, in Madison Co., N.Y.; son of Zenas and Tabitha Bird; his mother’s father was a nephew of and a soldier under Gen. Burgoyne.Mr. Bird with his mother, two brothers and a sister, left New York for the West in the fall of 1836, and came with team, reaching Milwaukee in December, 1836; spent the winter there, and made his first visit to Dane Co., in April 1837.

The present site of Madison was then in a state of nature. In July, 1837, he made a second trip, and at once began work on the capitol building.

He afterward worked as engineer in a steam saw-mill, and, in 1839, bought and settled upon an 80 acres on Sec. 35, town of Madison, and was the first settler south of the settlement. Has resided in Madison and Fitchburg Townships since this time as a farmer.

Mr. Bird is a Democrat; was formerly one of the County Supervisors; was Chairman of the town of Madison one term; Chairman of Fitchburg several terms, and has held various minor positions; and is now Treasurer.

He married on the old “Seventy-Six,” or Dr. Jacob’s farm, in January 1843, Miss Lucetta Chillson, born in Ft. Edward, N.Y., but a resident of Windsor Co., Vt., from her 6th year to 1841, when her people settled in Dane Co. Mr. and Mrs. Bird have five children – Horatio, De Moncey, Henry Clay, Helen and Mary, all born in Dane Co.

Mr. B. served two years and twenty-two days in the 1st W.V.H.A., and was honorably discharged on account of Disability in September 1864.

1880 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, p. 1253-54.

line
footer