Oregon History Timeline for August 2020
100 years ago ( August 1920)
John Gilbert & Son had the following ad in the newspaper entitled “How to Buy a Motor Car” and why you should consider a 1920 Velie Six: “The octagonal body lines appeal to those who like something original and the demonstration will show the surplus of power, ease of driving, and real comfort far better than any words.” (NOTE: A Velie was an auto made in Moline, Illinois from 1908 to 1928 and named after Willard Velie, maternal grandson of John Deere.
Red Crown Gasoline (of The Standard Oil Co, Indiana ) manufactures and sells its own products, making for superior products whose uniformity is guaranteed. Its the same quality gasoline which was furnished for government vehicles during the last war.
The First Presbyterian Church’s pastor, Geo. P. Jacklin, announces that there will be no regular worship services during the month of August. Should the services of the pastor be needed he may be reached by phone through Mr. Shilton at the First National Bank or through H. W. Hawley.
Rev. Wermuth was in Oregon last week soliciting funds for the St. Coletta Institute for the
Feeble Minded at Jefferson, Wis. Those who were missed in the solicitation but would still like to contribute, may leave their contributions at the Bank of Oregon or with the T. H. Grady Store. in care of Rev. Wermuth.
L. J. Sprague and family spent last week at their cottage at Second Lake. While there, Sprague landed a number of large pickerel, the largest of which weighed 13-1/2 pounds.
Two headlamps on autos are required by law. A warning was issued by C. E. Pettingill of the Industrial Commission that steps were being taken to enforce the law.
The freshman class of the high school of the coming year enjoyed a picnic at the Kiser sand pit.
50 years ago ( August 1970)
The Oregon Bantam League All-Stars were winners at the LaCrosse Tournament. Members of the team were: Brian Ricker, Mike Kissling, Bill Meier, Brian Steinhorst, Dale Arndt, Guy Gibney, Phil Mountford, Brad Staley, Dave Crotty, Rick Urban, Bill Conner, Mark Nelson, Tom Barry, Mark Riese, and Jim Fletchall. Their managers were Bob Lawry, John Urban, and Jack Ricker.
Earl Wheeler, on behalf of Louie Albrecht, camping and activities chairperson, Yahara District, Four Lakes Council of the Boy Scouts, presented a plague of appreciation to Lyman Anderson for the use of his land for the scouts’ Spring Camporee. There were 541 scouts and 113 adults in attendance.
Two local teachers, Luella Ames and Elizabeth Spangler, returned from a three week trip to Rome, Athens, Israel, Austria, and Germany.
Veterinarian, Dr. Larry Mahr, opens his clinic at 561 North Main Street.
A new civil defense siren was installed. Its sound should cover a 5-mile radius.
Announcement was made that Jerry Norin, a former Oregon resident, had purchased the food market business on Oregon’s North Main Street from the C. & P Company. It will be operated under the name of “Jerry’s IGA”.
The 1970 Census records Oregon’s population as 2,564; up from 1701 in 1960.
The Village of Oregon received a grant of $43,028 from the State of Wisconsin as part of the aid for the recent sewage district expansion completed last year at a cost of$186,l447.
Lappley Chevrolet held a Pre-Season Open House for the new 1971 Polaris Snowmobiles. The suggested price of $1,99.95 was reduced to $899.95.
25 years ago ( August 1995)
Ginger Slater celebrated the 25th anniversary of her dance studio with a special revue and program at the Oregon High School Cafetorium.
The Town of Oregon Board voted unanimously to grant a conditional use permit to Lyman Anderson for a limestone quarry to be established along the southern edge of the Village of Oregon. Later the Dane County’s Zoning and Natural Resources Committee voted 5-1 to grant the conditional use permit as well.
The Village of Oregon will receive a Federal Grant enabling the village to add another police officer to its force. This was thanks to President Clinton’s COPS (fast grant process legislation) to add 100,000 police officers across the nation.
The Chamber of Commerce in conjunction with the Community Education Advisory Council sponsored a free community dance at the Triangle Park on August 26. Music was provided by “The Classics”.
The Mega Math Meet team from Oregon came in first place. The meet was held at the UW – Madison last May. Members of the team were Jacob Stroup, Lucas Miller, Eric Lynda, Stuart Dennis, Matt Hustad, Justin Fletchall, Elliot Tomaro and Jesse Kapusta. Their two advisors and trainers were Kathy Langer and Gunnard Swanson.
Oregon Video, operated by Stan and Cindy Eddy, will be going out of business as of August 31st. They will start selling their inventory of movies starting September 1st.
A preliminary draft of a joint Fitchburg/Oregon business park was accepted by the Village Board.
An open house was held at the Autumn Woods Professional Centre located at 602 Pleasant Oak Drive. It was built to accommodate new office facilities and a conference center. Verhelst, CPA, owners of the facility, have their offices there now along with Cindy Peterson’s Travel Agency have their offices there now.
Rev. Duane Bottjen retired August 27th after serving St. John’s Lutheran Church for the past 21 years.
Matt Kenseth took home top honors in the 50-lap finale of the Country Time Challenge at Madison International Speedway.
10 years ago ( August 2010)
Diane Newlin becomes the new director of the Oregon Youth Center.
The Physicians Plus (baseball team) wins the Little League World Series (5th & 6th graders) Championship. The team members were Jackson Marsden, Jake Agate, Jordan Schutz,, Garrett Powell, Patrick Sommers, Austin Huppert, Dominick Maurice, Chris Cutter, Nate Beauchaine, Nate Ironmonger, Connor Urben, Jacob Rosenmeier. Coaches were Todd Huppert, Brian Powell, Dan Ironmonger, and head coach Rick Urben.
Members of the First Presbyterian Church youth group attended the Presbyterian Youth Triennium at the University of Purdue. Included were Lisa Johnson, Heather Edgren, Eva Meyer, Katie McGuigan, David Johnson, Brandon Jones, Zach Eyers, Brian Johnson, Judy Belanus, Steve Johnson Luke Belamus, Sam Pavel, Jason Smith, and Melissa Eyers.
The Oregon Village Board approved an annexation agreement with the First Presbyterian Church and adopted an ordinance to annex the 9-acre property to the Village.
The Village Board approved to spend up to $3,000 in matching funds to create a plan to rearrange the layout of athletic fields at Jaycee Park.
A state ban on disposing electronics in landfills went into effect September of 2010.
Dan Kissling takes over as OHS head football coach, taking over from Bob Prahl who resigned last year.
Three OHS teachers participated in a week-long conference devoted to improving instruction in science, math, technology, and other areas of education. The three attending the 17th Annual John Muir Academy were Gail Gregory, Karen Ludvigsen, and Doug Debroux.
Andi Kent and Chuck Allison take over as co-head coaches of the OHS girl’s swimming team; taking over from Wendy McNall.
“Kids from Wisconsin” performed at the OHS Performing Arts Center. All the proceeds from the show went to the OHS’s fall musical and the choral department.