Isaac Howe

ISAAC HOWE, M.D., Oregon; was born Dec. 28, 1824, in the village of Woodstock, Windsor Co., Vt.; he attended the common schools, and for four years the famous old Caledonia County Grammar school; Thad Stevens and Wilbur Fish once studied there; young Howe entered the Vermont Medical College in 1847, graduating as physician and surgeon in 1849; began practice in Cabot, soon removing to West Randolph, where he practiced until the spring of 1851, then he settled in Fulton, Rock Co. Wis.  The Doctor is in all respects the architect of his own fortunes, earning means to complete his medical education by teaching; he taught twelve terms of winter school in Rock Co., farming and teaching until 1863, when he commenced business in Cedar Falls, Iowa; returned to Stoughton in 1865, and went into partnership with a brother, C.M. Howe; in 1866, they located in Oregon, the Doctor doing business alone since 1869; in 1876, he visited Kansas and founded the Florence Herald, still alive newspaper; on the site of a store built by him in 1876; and burned early in 1880, he is now erecting two stores, one 66×22, and one 66×20; they will be well built and a credit to the village; Dr. Howe will carry an assortment of drugs and groceries in one, and lease the other; his substantial frame residence he built in 1871. He married in Porter, Rock Co., Wis. in 1855, Miss Sarah Ide, a native of Saratoga Co., N.Y.; they have three children-Mary M. (a teacher in Evansville), James R. and Gracia.  The Doctor is a veteran of twenty-five years’ standing in Fulton Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and a Greenbacker of Democratic antecedents.Ref. 1880 History of Dane County, Wisconsin, page 1242.

line
footer