Lewis L. Adams
LEWIS L. ADAMS, farmer, Sec. 29; P.O. Stoner’s Prairie; born July 27, 1823, in Chester Co., Penn; his parents, John and Eliza L. (Davis) Adams; removed two years later to Ontario Co., N.Y. whence he came West in May, 1847; spent some time looking over the country, footing it to Baraboo; R. W. Salisbury showed him his present farm; Mr. A. at once entering 120 acres where his buildings now stand; this paid for, his only remaining capital was health and pluck; that winter, he fenced 40 acres and cut the logs for a house, finished in 1848. Married June 29, 1848, Miss Mary A., daughter of R.D. Salisbury, and a native of Canandaigua, N.Y., born Aug. 8, 1840. In November, 1848, they began life in the log house, which (with some repairs) still stands under the shadow of the large and well-built two-story frame farmhouse, which supplants it as the family home; twenty years and four days were spent in the log house, and during that time the best of work was done, as may be seen by the 240-acre farm, improved and well-cultivated, the substantial buildings, fruitful orchards, etc. Mr. and Mrs. Adams have nine children—Mary L. (Mrs. R. H. Henry, of Nebraska), L. Llewillyn, Russel D., Elon A., Winnifred, Cora, E. E. May, Arthur A. and Charles F. Death has never invaded this blest home circle. Mr. A. is a Republican, and has been thrice a Supervisor, though never an office-seeker.
1880 History of Dane County, Town of Fitchburg, p. 1253.