Emigrants from New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and Ireland started to settle in this area in the 1840’s. After clearing the land and building shelters for their family and livestock, they then established the schools. It was the custom of farmers to deed an acre of land to the school district. Schools were often named for the donor or the topography of the land.
The OAHS has placed markers where all the rural schools were located.