Netherwood Hall was located on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets. This later was the location of a bank, and is now green space. The building had burned down in 1873, but C. W. Netherwood rebuilt on the corner. Additional one-story businesses were later added. The second story was used as a meeting hall for many fraternal and literary groups as well as for social functions (Cronk’s Opera house had not yet been built). Fire destroyed the building again in June of 1898 (shown here). Netherwood once again rebuilt in 1899 and this time it was called the Phoenix building.