Prior to becoming a public library, a “subscription library” existed in 1898. Thirty-five families belonged to the subscription library located in the Pease Drug Store. Members paid $3.00 a month. Every three months a box of 50 books arrived.
The first public library in the village of Oregon was in 1908, started by Mrs. Jean Mennes Bennett, and was located in the front room over the old Oregon Drug Co. at 113 South Main Street. The rent was $5.00 a month and the village population at that time was 700.