Electric Company

Worker at Electric Plant

In 1906 a petition was received by the Village Board requesting the village be bonded for $8,000 to provide an electric power plant.  It took ten years for the Oregon Electric Company to become a reality. 

Village Hall

Old Town Hall

The first town hall was formerly the center section of a two-story school building built in 1867-68. It was carefully detached from two single story wings on each side of the structure and moved to a location on South Main Street behind the Netherwood Block Building in 1895.

Police Department

Oregon Police Force in the 1940's

n 1922, a 24-hour service was established in the village with cooperation of the Business Men’s Club.  Before this, someone patrolled the village only during the nighttime hours.

Post Office

Mailman delivering mail on horse and buggy.

The first post office was established in 1848 with Egbert Bennett as the first postmaster.

Fire Department

First fire department.

In 1925, the fire department put their first motor driven fire equipment into use.  The cost was $3,000.

Madsen’s Home Owned Store

General Store

Steve Madsen’s Home Owned Store was located on Main Street in Oregon.  In the past this was the location of Cronk’s Opera House, and today is the site of the Firefly Coffeeshop.