Oregon Area Historical Society Building

black and white photo of Oregon Lumber Co with Mounds in the background

The Oregon Hotel was the first occupant of the current site of the Oregon Area Historical Society and Museum. Being near the Railroad Depot, it was a favorite stopping place for traveling salesmen and stock dealers. The hotel burned down on Commencement Day, June 7, 1906. The museum building is the second building on this […]

Netherwood Hall Fires

A black and white photo of a building in ruins due to a fire.

Netherwood Hall was located on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets. This later was the location of a bank, and is now green space. The building had burned down in 1873, but C. W. Netherwood rebuilt on the corner. Additional one-story businesses were later added. The second story was used as a meeting hall […]

Village Presidents

Black and white photo of three besuited men holding their hats outside Village Hall in 1949.

Manuel Wolfe 09/12/1883 – 05/13/1884 Charles Netherwood 05/13/1884 – 05/08/1889 Manuel Wolfe 05/08/1889 – 05/08/1890 Charles Netherwood 05/08/1890 – 04/06/1897 Herbert Haskell 04/06/1897 – 04/07/1898 Charles Netherwood 04/07/1898 – 04/04/1901 E.D. Main 04/04/1901 – 04/02/1903 William Prichard 04/02/1903 – 04/07/1904 Charles Netherwood 04/07/1904 – 04/05/1906 J.C. Shampnor 04/05/1906 – 04/07/1910 Forest B. Cowdrey 04/07/1910 – […]

Hallelujah Camp Grounds

Hallelujah Camp Grounds

In the early 1920’s, a large interdenominational, evangelistic complex, known as the Hallelujah Camp Grounds, was built on the corner of Janesville St. and South Perry Parkway (See Google Map). Hundreds of people attended the religious gathering run by former Congregational minister, Rev. Jack Linn and his wife Sophie Nelson Linn each summer. By 1941, […]

Library

First Library

The first public library in the village of Oregon was in 1908, started by Mrs. Jean Mennes Bennett, and was located in the front room over the old Oregon Drug Co. at 113 South Main Street.  The rent was $5.00 a month and the village population at that time was 700. 

Electric Company

Worker at Electric Plant

In 1906 a petition was received by the Village Board requesting the village be bonded for $8,000 to provide an electric power plant.  It took ten years for the Oregon Electric Company to become a reality. 

Village Hall

Old Town Hall

The first town hall was formerly the center section of a two-story school building built in 1867-68. It was carefully detached from two single story wings on each side of the structure and moved to a location on South Main Street behind the Netherwood Block Building in 1895.

Police Department

Oregon Police Force in the 1940's

n 1922, a 24-hour service was established in the village with cooperation of the Business Men’s Club.  Before this, someone patrolled the village only during the nighttime hours.